Art Department are an act that, in the space of a few short years, have become one of the biggest names on dance music’s landscape. Musical partners Jonny White & Kenny Glasgow have a long history together, but it was with the launch of the Art Department moniker and their seminal releases through Crosstown Rebels that the pair came into the spotlight on the world stage. Their debut album The Drawing Board received rapturous support, and their single “Without You” was proclaimed a record of the year for 2010 by the likes of Resident Advisor and Mixmag. Two years on and Art Department are riding high, touring the world and delivering their own unique party experience wherever they go. Now they come together to compile and mix their first official compilation album, capturing something of that experience in a stunning 72-minute mix.
No.19 Music’s ‘Social Experiment’ compilation series was the obvious choice for this inaugural compilation from the pair, the imprint being owned & lovingly curated by Jonny White. The label’s ‘Social Experiment’ parties having been a key part in the Art Department schedule, with sell out shows at Sonar, WMC (Miami), Fabric and Panorama bar. The previous chapter, Social Experiment 002, was mixed by Soul Clap and was a huge success for the label in 2011. Now No.19 Music prepares for the release of what is set to be its biggest release to date – Art Department’s Social Experiment 003.
The album features fourteen tracks with some of the biggest and brightest names in electronic music making an appearance. Eight exclusives bring unheard cuts from the likes of Jamie Jones, My Favorite Robot and Art Department themselves – the whole thing is tied together seamlessly with the duo’s creative vision. Bookended with Art Department exclusives in the shape of “Into the Dust Intro” and “Insomniac,” the mix takes an emotive and intense journey through the realms of twisted house music, deep techno and after-hour grooves, fusing uplifting vocal compositions with rolling instrumental workouts as only Jonny & Kenny know how. “Robot Heart,” the new single from Art Department, BLUD and Shaun Reeves, also makes a welcome appearance, with the sultry London vocals of one Damian Lazarus. Add to the mix the likes of Carl Craig, Robert Owens, Fuckpony, DJ Hell, Brian Ferry, Tale of Us and Ali Love – there is truly no shortage to the musical talent on offer here, and the selection shines from beginning to end.
Social Experiment 003 is a beautiful snapshot of the sound of Art Department at work, and is set to become one of the defining compilation albums of 2013. Enjoy.
Social Experiment 003 Tracklist:
01. Art Department – Into The Dust Intro (Exclusive)
02. Jonny White & Nitin – La Cueva
03. Ali Love – The Jungle (Brigante’s Mix)
04. Luca C. & Brigante feat Robert Owens – Tomorrow Can Wait (Art Department Remix) 05. Jonathan Lee – Senses (Exclusive)
06. Foremost Poets – Moonraker (Accapella)
07. Jackin Rabbit feat Robert Owens- Full Of Dreams (Exclusive)
08. Fuckpony – Bongo Born (Tale Of Us Remix) (Exclusive)
09. Jamie Jones – Doctor Blue (Exclusive)
10. DJ Hell feat. Brian Ferry – U Can Dance (Carl Craig Remix)
11. Art Department, BLUD, Shaun Reeves feat Damian Lazarus – Robot Heart 12. My Favorite Robot – Not Progress (Exclusive)
13. Gregorythme – Artificial Tears(Exclusive)
14. Art Department – Insomniac (Exclusive)